Thursday, November 15, 2012

Aerogarden and Pumpkin Roasting

I’ve got a few fun little projects going on right now, but of course nothing that’s finished enough to share! So here’s a picture of my Aerogarden.

Aerogarden with big basil

Isn’t everything so nice and huge? I actually put the top of the big basil plant outside of the light so I wouldn’t have to keep raising it. I wanted to keep the light as low as possible as the littler plants grew. And now they’re getting so big! I did a lot of basil pruning after this photo. Tomorrow I’m hoping to make basil and mozzarella stuffed chicken! I’ll tell you how it turns out!

And, as I was waiting for paint on various other projects to dry, I finally cut up 2 remaining Halloween pumpkins we had, and roasted them! I mostly wanted to roast the seeds, but felt bad wasting the rest of the pumpkin, so I Googled around and decided to puree them, following these directions (complete with great photos).

I cut the tops off the pumpkins and cut them in half.  (I scooped out the seeds for cleaning and roasting.)

pumpkins for roasting

Then I placed them cut side down on foil lined baking sheets and covered them up with foil. I baked them in a 350-degree oven for about an hour and a half.

When I took them out, I let them cool for a while, then started cutting and peeling the skins off.

taking the skin off the roasted pumpkins

I cut the roasted pumpkins into chunks and pureed it in the food processor.

pumpkin puree

I scooped the puree 2-cups at a time into baggies.

pumpkin puree

(And labeled the baggies of course!)

Some of the pumpkin puree is currently being used to make dog treats. (They’re still in the oven. Hopefully tomorrow, I can report how well they turned out!)  You can freeze the puree, but I plan on using it soon to make smoothies, butter, and soup. If they’re successful, I will let you know!

Have you been doing any seasonal cooking lately? Do you cook while waiting for paint to dry? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...