Friday, November 16, 2012

Peanut Butter and Pumpkin Dog Treats

I had pretty good luck with the dog treats I was making yesterday.

They were Grounder approved.

Grounder the dog

Here’s what I did.

Ingredients:

about 1.5 cups pumpkin puree
about 1 cup peanut butter
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flour
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the ingredients really well.

pumpkin peanut butter dog treat mix

Then I took handfuls of dough and flattened them out by with my palms.

pumpkin peanut butter dog treats

A lot of people do cute things like make dog-bone shaped treats, but I just wanted something simple and bite-sized, since I mostly use the treats for reinforcement training (like making the dogs sit on the dirt-catching mat when they come in with muddy paws), so I sort of just ripped pieces apart and put them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. 

I baked them for about 30 minutes.

bite sized pumpkin peanut butter dog treats

Let them cool for a while, then feed them to your dogs!

DSC_0107

The dogs don’t look really enthused, but I swear they were wagging their tails.

dogs

Grounder, the brown dog, loved the treats, but to be fair, he’ll eat anything.  Shadow, the black one, didn’t eat them up as quickly as meaty treats (think, Pupperoni), but he still really liked them. 

(I think I’ll keep experimenting with treats that will make Shadow sit on the mud-catching mat for as long as possible, like the meaty ones do…when I do, I’ll keep you informed! I just found another recipe that uses bacon drippings…sounds interesting, right?)

(I was inspired to make my own treats by my friend Jessica, who made them last Christmas. I roughly followed this recipe.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...