Saturday, June 8, 2013

Baby Cardinal Follow-Up

I thought you might want a little closure on my baby cardinal adventure.

I knew the parents and the babies were making themselves right at home when I checked on them the day after I posted about them last and the babies wanted me to feed them:

hungry baby cardinal

I checked on them every day, but I tried not to be too invasive. I was working so hard to keep my animals away from them, I didn’t want to be a hypocrite and bother them too much myself!

They were fine and chirpy and the parents definitely kept feeding them and doing their best to distract all of us away from the nest.   Here’s Momma Cardinal. (I’m sad I didn’t have my bigger zoom lens on to get a better picture of her.)

Momma Cardinal

Within just a few days, it was amazing to see how big the little cardinals had gotten! This picture was taken on June 2, just 2 days after the hungry picture above.

big ol' baby cardinal

Big and fluffy, right? And perched right there on the edge of the nest like a big bird! :)  And I loved how he would look at me and turn his head to follow me as I tried to see him from different angles.

This was the last day I saw him/her.  Mom and Dad are gone, too, so I hope that’s a good sign. :) There were 3 baby birds originally, but I only saw this big guy grow up. One of his siblings was dead in the nest, and I don’t know what happened to the third.  I read that cardinals leave their nests and learn to fly relatively early, so I hope he/she got out there and into the big wide world safely!

Now I can go back to doing normal things in my life and not continually fret about “my” baby cardinals. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...