Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Super Delicious Veggie Fajitas!

These all-veggie fajitas are one of the most delicious things I have made lately. They’re healthy and they’re so good, that you really don’t miss the meat!  I  haven’t made anything too terrible in my healthy-cooking escapades lately, but this is the first meatless meal that Brian and I have both found 100% satisfying – something that we would eat even if we weren’t trying to be healthy!

best veggie fajitas!

I was inspired by my friend’s delicious smelling tacos last week, so I decided to try some home-made fajitas…and hopefully make them kind of healthy by using just veggies.  I browsed the web (of course) and found this recipe for fajita spice mix and this recipe for some ingredients and cooking tips and then I adapted it all for myself. 

Here’s what I did:

Veggies:

  • 1 large onion, sliced into big slices
  • 1 green bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” strips
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” strips
  • 1 orange bell pepper, cut in to 1/2” strips
  • 1 medium zucchini (about 8” long) cut in half, then into strips
  • 10-12 mushrooms, sliced (I used a mix of crimini and button)

Fajita Seasoning Mix:

  • 2 tsp garlic salt
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp (or a dash in my case) cayenne pepper

I tossed all that stuff in a gallon Ziploc bag with some olive oil so all the veggies were nice and coated.

I heated up my griddle pan to just under high (8 or 9 on my electric stove) with some olive oil.  Then I proceeded to cook (and nicely char…nicely nicely charred) all the veggies.

veggies cooking on the griddle

All those veggies made a LOT of fajitas.  Brian and I totally overate and there were still plenty of leftovers…but that was good for us: easy lunches the next day!

Here’s the veggie pile beginning…like I said, they were very charred…and super delicious! (I was eating them right off the plate as I was cooking!)

yummmm...super charred veggies

To serve, we heated up some white corn tortillas in the microwave (and I fried a couple, too, in the pan…which of course were delicious), added some chopped fresh cilantro, some thinly sliced chopped raw onions, and a sprinkle of Mexican cheese. 

best veggie fajitas!

This amazing veggie fajitas are currently one of our favorite meals! I’ve made them twice in a week, and we’ve been eating all the leftovers in between!

Are you into trying a meatless meal…if it tastes this delicious??? :) Have you been doing as much cooking as I have lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...