Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mansueto Library

I’m turning 30 tomorrow.

But in the meantime, I went to my alma mater, the University of Chicago today to take a tour of their newest library. It was amazing.

Look at this gorgeous reading room.

Mansueto Library at the University of Chicago

The books are all stored in the basement in huge bins. There is room for 3.5 million volume.

the library

The basement storage facility is fully automated. The books are all barcoded. When one is requested, a crane is put into motion and retrieves the proper bin.

the library

Then the bin is sent upstairs to the gorgeous reading room for your bookly enjoyment!

books in bins

It was a great tour and a great day. I wonder if I would have studied more if I had such a gorgeous study spot when I was there. ;)

Joe and Rika Mansueto Library at the University of Chicago

See these pictures bigger on Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, that place is beautiful! The reading room is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...