Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chalkboard Island

There are a lot of projects going on in my house, and very few of them are actually completed, but this is one that is. With a sigh of relief and extreme happiness, I present my chalkboard island.

It's two of our base cabinets secured together, then finished off with 1/4" plywood on the back and two sides, which I primed, then painted with Rustoleum's Chalkboard Paint in Peapod Green (and coated with yellow chalk dust) :)


I added hooks across the back (where there was some thicker wood (well, particleboard) for securing the cabinets to the wall - ensuring that the hooks are nice and sturdy) which provide a perfect place to hang purses or grocery bags when coming into the kitchen!

I knew I wanted an island that was an accent color and looked different than the rest of the cabinets. I was inspired by pictures like this:

And greens like this:


...though I knew that I'd have to translate those looks into something functional in my smallish kitchen.  I also knew I wanted chalkboard paint somewhere (well, really, I want it everywhere.) So that's how I got to this island! The shade of green isn't exactly what I had in mind when I started this island project, but I am totally happy with how it turned out and how it looks in the kitchen (which is too messy to photograph and share with you now - and is still in progress itself!)!  

Plus, I love that it's great entertainment for kids (and adults) -- who doesn't love scribbling on chalkboards?? :)

Sorry, I don't have sources for the inspiration images! I saved them pre-blogging and pre-Pinterest. If you know where they're from, please let me know!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...